Creating a Grand Place
There are no fundamental differences between Grand Places and the Places that are nested within them, but since these Places can be created and arranged in a multi-level format to better organize your communications, we often refer to the top-level Place as a Grand Place. The Places that are created within are often, and informally so, called as sub-Places.
To create your own Grand Place, follow the instructions below and watch your team productivity increase in no time!
- 1. To create a new Grand Place, click on the plus icon that presides on your lower left-hand sidebar.
- 2. The following page will lead you to Create a Place. Here you will be asked to fill-in the details of the Place you would like to establish; the page will look like the one below prior to being filled-in:
- Create a Place page will display the type of the Place at the top: Grand Place, being a top-level Place, is by default a private Place and you are required to invite the people you want to have the access to view the contents of your Place selectively.
- 3. Place name asks you to name the Place you are creating: What is this Place for? For work? Friends or relatives? Or your sports team? We encourage you to name your Place descriptively as to make it easier for yourself to have a clearer overview of all the Places you’re a part of.
- Let’s say, you needed to create a Place for your work-related teams. You type that in!
- 4. As you can see by this point, your Place name has been automatically filled-in as your Place ID, which is the unique Nested address that will be assigned to each one of your Places during their creation; it will basically operate with a similar concept to an email: for communicating between individuals, teams and other emailing services.
- Despite the automated fill-in, you can still type-in the specific Place ID you want by clicking on the automated Place ID: Once you do this, a modal window will open, allowing you to alter the Place ID according to your preferences. Bear in mind that you cannot later change your Place ID, so please choose wisely!
- Once you are done with your changes, click on Save; this will take you back to the Create a Place page and you will be asked to complete the empty fields.
- 5. Who can share posts with this Place? asks you to determine whom you would like to have the authority to post in your Place.
- The default setting is on Everyone, which means that anyone, outside of your Grand Place and outside of Nested, can reach out to your Grand Place if they know your Nested address.
- Show in the search results? is asking you to turn on/off your search visibility: Do you want to be shown in the suggested contacts listings when someone types your name or your Nested address? If yes, you swipe the ball rightwards.
- Alternative option is to choose Only Members of [your Grand Place], which means that only those invited to your Grand Place can share posts in it, and that any posts shared by outsiders will be averted.
- Which Members can share posts in this Place? asks you to permit either all Members, including Managers, to have the ability to share posts in the created Grand Place, or only the Managers. In the case of the latter, the ordinary Members will only be given the permission to view the contents shared by the Managers.
- 6. This and the following section are dedicated to privacy: Who can invite Members to this Place? asks you to give the invitation rights of the Grand Place solely to the Manager(s) or to all the Member(s) of the Grand Place
- 7. Who can create a sub-Place? gives you the option to alter between allowing the Managers to create sub-Places inside the Grand Place, or giving that right to all the Members of the Grand Place.
- 8. Add to Feed will add the Place to the list of Places that carry the most importance to you and will therefore prioritize the activities happening in them by showing them on your Feed the moment you log in.
- You can turn this option off if it’s a Place that you do not want to be informed of, or if you want to check on it yourself from time to time without being reminded.
- 9. Turn on notifications for this Place if you want to be notified of the activities occurring in it: This option is very handy if you want to keep on top of the communication happening in a particular Place, or to stay in the loop of how a specific team work is getting along.
- You can turn this option off if you’re not interested in being notified of everything that is taking place there.
- After completing this stage, take a quick look over things you’ve written and make changes if you need to: Some of these sections cannot be changed later, such as the Place ID section.
- Once ready, finalize the process by clicking on Create a Place.
- Ta-daa! Congratulations on your first Grand Place
Creating a sub-Place
Creating Places, or informally known as sub-Places, within your Grand Place works in a very straightforward way and parallels the exact same procedure that you followed when creating a Grand Place; there are only minor technical differences that are listed below:
- 1. To create a sub-Place, open the Grand Place under which you would like your sub-Place to come.
- 2. From there on, click on the More options drop-down menu from the upper-right corner of the page and choose the Place type you want for your sub-Place: Common or Private.
- Common Place: All the Members from your Grand Place can view its contents and activities. Depending on your settings, you decide if they can also post or not. Bear in mind that you cannot nest further Places in a Common Place.
- Private Place: Only selected Members from your Grand Place can view, post and search for its contents. From your settings, you can further adjust who gets to see and do what.
Creating a Common Place
If you decide to go with a Common Place, keep in mind that you cannot later create further sub-Places within it. The page for the creation of a Common Place it will look like this:
The fields you are asked to fill are similar to the process of creating a Grand Place but because Grand Places are by default Private Places, certain fields related to privacy are not available when creating a Common Place.
Right at the start of the Place creation process, you are explicitly informed that every Member of the Grand Place within which you create this sub-Place will be able to view its contents.
- Add to Feed and Turn on notifications for this Place are optional settings that you can change whenever you want.
- Your Common Place is ready to house your communications once you press Create a Place!
Creating a Private PlaceCreating a Private Place is, as it is named, private and will allow you to create further sub-Places within it. The page for the creation of a Private Place it will look like this:
- If you do not want to add all the Members, you can later add the Members you want to add selectively.
- Alternatively, you can have the Place for your own use, for things like file-storing, or using it for incoming or outgoing posts and emails.
- Nested’s simplicity is one with great depth to it: It allows you to oversee all your communications from a neat sidebar of expandable Places. From here you can manage your different teams and handle your communications however big or small with ease and efficiency!