We’ve come up with the Places feature that builds on the foundation where our predecessor, email, fell short: Place intuitively houses your interactions with different people and teams into different communal Places according to their context, eliminating the disarray of overburdened email inboxes.
Creating a Grand Place
There are no fundamental differences between Grand Places and the Places that are nested within them, but since these Places can be created and arranged in a multi-level format to better organize your communications, we often refer to the top-level Place as a Grand Place. The Places that are created within are often, and informally so, called as sub-Places.
To create your own Grand Place, follow the instructions below and watch your team productivity increase in no time!
- 1. To create a new Grand Place, click on the plus icon that presides on your lower left-hand sidebar.
- 2. The following page will lead you to Create a Place. Here you will be asked to fill-in the details of the Place you would like to establish; the page will look like the one below prior to being filled-in:
- Create a Place page will display the type of the Place at the top: Grand Place, being a top-level Place, is by default a private Place and you are required to invite the people you want to have the access to view the contents of your Place selectively.
- 3. Place name asks you to name the Place you are creating: What is this Place for? For work? Friends or relatives? Or your sports team? We encourage you to name your Place descriptively as to make it easier for yourself to have a clearer overview of all the Places you’re a part of
- Let’s say, you needed to create a Place for your work-related teams. You type that in!
- 4. As you can see by this point, your Place name has been automatically filled-in as your Place ID, which is the unique Nested address that will be assigned to each one of your Places during their creation; it will basically operate with a similar concept to an email: for communicating between individuals, teams and other emailing services.
- Despite the automated fill-in, you can still type-in the specific Place ID you want by clicking on the automated Place ID: Once you do this, a modal window will open, allowing you to alter the Place ID according to your preferences. Bear in mind that you cannot later change your Place ID, so please choose wisely!
- Once you are done with your changes, click on Save; this will take you back to the Create a Place page and you will be asked to complete the empty fields.
- 5. Who can share posts with this Place? asks you to determine whom you would like to have the authority to post in your Place.
- The default setting is on Everyone, which means that anyone, outside of your Grand Place and outside of Nested, can reach out to your Grand Place if they know your Nested address.
- Show in the search results? is asking you to turn on/off your search visibility: Do you want to be shown in the suggested contacts listings when someone types your name or your Nested address? If yes, you swipe the ball rightwards.
- Alternative option is to choose Only Members of [your Grand Place], which means that only those invited to your Grand Place can share posts in it, and that any posts shared by outsiders will be averted.
- Which Members can share posts in this Place? asks you to permit either all Members, including Managers, to have the ability to share posts in the created Grand Place, or only the Managers. In the case of the latter, the ordinary Members will only be given the permission to view the contents shared by the Managers.
- 6. This and the following section are dedicated to privacy: Who can invite Members to this Place? asks you to give the invitation rights of the Grand Place solely to the Manager(s) or to all the Member(s) of the Grand Place.
- 7. Who can create a sub-Place? gives you the option to alter between allowing the Managers to create sub-Places inside the Grand Place, or giving that right to all the Members of the Grand Place.
- 8. Add to Feed will add the Place to the list of Places that carry the most importance to you and will therefore prioritize the activities happening in them by showing them on your Feed the moment you log in.
- You can turn this option off if it’s a Place that you do not want to be informed of, or if you want to check on it yourself from time to time without being reminded.
- 9. Turn on notifications for this Place if you want to be notified of the activities occurring in it: This option is very handy if you want to keep on top of the communication happening in a particular Place, or to stay in the loop of how a specific team work is getting along.
- You can turn this option off if you’re not interested in being notified of everything that is taking place there.
- Good to know: You can turn notifications off from a Place and yet choose to see its posts on your Feed; alternatively, you can choose to be notified of the activities of a Place that you do not want to see on your Feed. It’s entirely up to you!
- After completing this stage, take a quick look over things you’ve written and make changes if you need to: Some of these sections cannot be changed later, such as the Place ID section.
- Once ready, finalize the process by clicking on Create a Place.
- Ta-daa! Congratulations on your first Grand Place.
What to do next?
Once you have created a Grand Place, you can proceed to invite your team members into it and continue to create sub-Places to further categorize your communications according to their context. You can either create a Common Place or a Private Place, depending on the type of a privacy you are after for your team communications!